Monday, February 14, 2011

Student Teaching Post #4

When creating a positive learning environment it is essentials to have rules to support the teacher’s expectations for students. The most important rule in any classroom is to treat each other with respect and listen to others, including the teacher, when they are speaking. Other rules that I think are important are that students respect classroom materials and complete their projects to their fullest capability. I plan to create a positive environment by first setting rules and routines for the students to follow. I think that establishing standards is a good way for students to become comfortable in the class and focus on the work that they are making. I also think that a positive learning environment stems from the teachers attitude towards the students and content. By modeling a positive attitude and being excited about the lesson, teachers can influence how students perform on projects. Other ways of creating a positive atmosphere is by allowing a free exchange of ideas and allowing students to listen to music while they work. All of these things build rapport with the students and cut down on the need to enforce classroom rules.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jill!
    Being clear and firm with what your expectations in the classroom lessens behavior management issues and begins to build the positive community environment.

    ReplyDelete