Sunday, February 20, 2011

Post 4, Standard K

I think that the impact of subject knowledge on the teachers ability to be successful is immense. If you do not have a background knowledge of the subject it is hard to expand on the projects you present and the questions that students ask. I think there is also a link between the interest that a teacher has in their subject material and their ability to teach. If you have a great understanding of your subject knowledge you are better able to make content interesting for students and encourage higher thinking learning.

When I begin to plan a lesson there are a variety of resources that I turn to generate ideas. I first think about my own experiences with art education. This may be when I was in elementary school or possibly even college assignments that I could translate to an elementary/high school setting. Next I look to the lessons that I observed while visiting classrooms throughout my college coursework. The teachers that I spent time working during practicum and student teacher are also excellent in providing lesson ideas. I have also found during my student teaching that all of the elementary art teachers in the district get together and share ideas about what projects their students are doing currently and have done in the past. Finally, there are a number of websites that have excellent resources for lesson planning. Some that I have used are dickblick.com, princetonol.com, kinderart.com and deepspacesparkle.com. Often times I get a basic idea from these sites and build upon it to fit the needs of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment