Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sexual Identities




If I were approached by a student who came out to me I would try to be as supportive as possible. I would refer them to the guidance counselor because they may have more practice dealing with these situations. However, I would want the student to know that if they had any issues or needed to talk, my door would be open. If the student had not come out to family/friends I would let them know that I would keep what they told me confidential. I had a friend who was struggling with his sexuality in college, so I have some experience helping others dealing with identity issues. In order to make my room a safe space I would try to create a welcoming atmosphere for everyone. Negative language of any kind would not be allowed and students would be expected to treat everyone with respect. When discussing artists both past and present I would include their sexuality to provide positive role models in the art world.






A couple well know GLBT artists that I would include would be Michelangelo and Andy Warhol.

2 comments:

  1. I think that incorporating the sexual identity of artists is important for studying and understanding artwork. I think this would be a great way to provide support to students and provide them with positive role models, regardless of sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing the experiences of someone else you knew who struggled with similar questions is also a great way to help a student feel less isolated. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete