Thursday, February 11, 2010
Discrimination
I can't say that I have faced much discrimination in my life. I one time that I did feel like I was judged solely on where I came from was when I studied abroad. I was telling my friends that were from Las Vegas that my father was a farmer. One of the friends then ask why I wanted to study abroad? As if people who are from rural areas are closed minded and have no desire to see the world. I didn't really know what to say when she made the comment and I'm not really sure what I said in response. I tend to internalize things anyway so I did not make a big deal about it. Looking back I wish that I had defended myself and my background. A time when I discriminated against someone would be making assumptions about a person based on their political beliefs. I'm not proud about about making these assumptions and I continue to challenge myself to be open minded. I think that I can use both experiences in my classroom to remind me to learn about student before making judgements. Appearances can be deceiving and I don't want to count someone out based on initial impressions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We both wrote about our study abroad experiences for the discrimination post! :)
ReplyDeleteI think when you grow up in a fairly homogeneous community, the most prominent experiences are those when you are relocated into an unfamiliar place and your differences stick out much more prominently to those around you. I too alluded to some experiences abroad though I thought a little more about it and can identify where it happens on a much more subtle level every day around here in the midwest as well.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reflecting on both sides of the issue of discrimination. I am glad that you had the study abroad experience- no matter where you are from.
ReplyDelete