Monday, March 7, 2011
Standards Fand I
I believe the role of art teacher and art education advocate are one in the same. Art teachers need to constantly be promoting their courses and their programs to students, faculty and the community. Often times when there is a need for cuts in the budget, fine arts programs are the first on the chopping block. It is important that you have built up a group of people who believe that the arts are important and can support your cause. Advocacy can be used as a tool during these times and when there are no concerns about cuts. Artwork done by students and the teacher can communicate the importance of the arts when hung in schools and out in public. When people see what is going on in schools and all of the projects that are being done they are more likely to understand the importance of art in schools. I think that the art teacher serves as a representative to the arts for students and parents. Most people do not know artist and understand all of the possibilities that art degrees provide. The teacher is a liaison between the general community and the arts community. They can get people involved in art projects easier than anyone else by promoting events at school. So far I have been involved in the creation of a piece of art that will be hung in the elementary school I’m student teaching at to promote the schools anti bullying initiative. This serves a purpose of communicating a message to the parents and students, while demonstrating the presence of the art program. I also believe that school district art shows are good community projects which make parents to get out and look at the art work of their students and their peers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment