Sunday, April 25, 2010

Positive Identity

To help students foster a positive self identity in the classroom I will create projects that allow them to explore their identities. In order to get them comfortable with sharing such personal feelings, I want to create a welcoming environment. Also, I think that the better able I am to get to know the students on a persona level they will be more open. As a teacher I hope to set the precedent for tolerance in my classroom. This means not only for identity issues but ideas that the students have for their work. If students that they will not be criticized for their ideas they will be more comfortable. I think that it is important to create a classroom where students can be their true selves. I have found the art room to be an outlet for me to be myself and I hope that I can do the same.
For the projects that the students do I want them to do self portraits of themselves that capture how they see themselves. This will hopefully help them explore what they like or don't like about themselves. From this I can also gain more information into where they may be having issues in their lives or with their identities. If you can be yourself in the art room then there is no way you can create meaningful work that you can be proud of.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that tolerance is important and essential in the art classroom. It seems that students who may not be successful in other areas of school may be successful in the art classroom so having an environment allowing them to succeed could be very important to their development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot to include projects - but I think you do a nice job of summarizing the key points and I also want to be a leader in my school for tolerance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea about doing self portraits right off the bat is a great idea, and would be very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're spot on! Giving students a sense of comfort in the classroom will definitely help foster a sense of confidence and identity.

    ReplyDelete