Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Post #1




Much of my high school experience was spent waiting in anticipation for graduation and the move to college. I was a quiet student and always tried my hardest to get high grades. Unfortunately in high school I did not partake in art classes. I found myself entering the "college track," which left little free time in my schedule. Also, the art instructors reputation and course offerings at my school failed to peak my interest. Crafts 1 and 2...really?


I think that my own need for achievement as a student could hinder me from understanding students motivation in the classroom. I never needed any extra incentive to do the work and I know that that will not be the case with most students in my future classroom. This ties into my fear that I will not be able to provided students with projects that capture their attention and in which they want to devote their time. I want students to not only create, but for them to personally invested in the work. As with many new teachers, I'm also concerned about managing a classroom and keeping students on task. I think that one of the benefits of the art classroom is the collaborative environment and the ability for students to converse while creating work. I hope to be able to manage students effectively so I can create an atmosphere where students are eager to enter and create work. I'm most excited about is learning new projects and methods to teach students in the classroom. I think that one of the most thrilling parts of being a teacher is seeing what students can do with a simple idea or lesson plan.


2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures. Especially the first one. I always notice how cool that building is when I pass it on the way to Studio Arts. It reminds me of a precisionist painting.
    And I agree with what you say about finding a way to motivate students. I don't know how to make students who are only taking the class for an easy A actually take the material seriously.
    And nice Billy Joel reference. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate with the 'college track.' I took Drawing 1 and Drawing 2 at my high school, and I learned a fair deal of things, but my art teacher did not really appreciate my denial to make things abstracted when they were not supposed to be (oops), and therefore instead of explaining WHY basics were important, she just gave me bad grades-- which made me not care. So, art teacher was not my professional career plan, but soon I realized that it was the choice for me, and THEN realized how disappointed I was that I did not take more classes in high school.

    Regarding your fear to not create a stimulating project -- don't think that. Be confident in yourself and give them an assignment that has meaning. As long as YOU are encouraging and the students feel some personal attachment to the piece they are making (by either having them have a part of the idea process, tools used, medium used, etc.) they will enjoy the project.

    ReplyDelete